Clav Game Clav Game

It took a couple of listens, but I'm starting to get into this! I've never really been the biggest fan of music in the jazz category, as usually puts me to sleep, but I can appreciate the funk part at least.

I don't hear the clashing issue that Blue heard, but I feel like there should have been a little more variety, even with it being a loop, either with changing the progression or writing something connecting to the beginning to make it loop better to hook you into the track. I dunno.

I like that bass line though. I always like hearing moving, complimentary, bass lines, being a bass player myself.

Other than those things, I'm kind of neutral with this track, which makes it hard to review for me. There's not much along the lines of me disliking anything, and same thing with liking anything. Nothing really caught me off guard or came out to me as really interesting, for lack of a better explanation.

This is good, though. As I said, it took a couple listens, but I was starting to get into it. I just can't find anything to really review about it, y'know?

-Dylnmatrix

BjornIdentity responds:

Agreed, I probably should've changed the harmony a bit in the 2nd repeats.
The melody evolved but not so much the harmony.

Thanks for your ears and an honest review! :D

Perishing Galaxies Perishing Galaxies

This is pretty dope, actually. I like the pads and the feel of the track. Fits very well with that space theme that you were going for. I also enjoy how the song evolves, not really sticking to one section for too long while keeping things flowing. I also enjoy that acid bass that you have going on underneath in the beginning, though I don't feel like it fits in with the rest of the track as it's only used the one time.

To be a bit nitpicky, the track does end pretty abruptly. It's fine for a loop, but on it's own, I feel like you could have made a little bit of an outro for the NG version, maybe? Another thing is that, I believe the higher frequencies are a bit loud and should be turned down just a smidge. Those bell-like arps you have going on in the background start to hurt the ears after a while and could benefit from being turned down a bit or even EQ'd a bit, cutting off the ear piercing frequencies. I also feel like the guitar wasn't double-tracked, or having one guitar signal panned to the left and another to the right, I feel like that would've helped with mixing that guitar in, as it's pretty muffled underneath everything else.

Since I had to really search for that stuff to criticize, I do believe this track is fantastic. Does what it needs to do and doesn't get too repetitive in those 3 minutes. Great job on this and good luck with that game!

BlastBeats responds:

Everything you said is completely new to me, but it makes sense, and I hear it now. Thanks for the constructive criticism and the effort you put in writing this! I really appreciate it.

WAR CRY WAR CRY

Interesting stuff.

While listening I'm not sure what to say about this, as it doesn't really have a structure or much substance for me to really review. I think the ambiance throughout is pretty good, but that white noise in the background really gets to you and should have been taken out.

The sparse synth lines you have playing are good and don't get any complaints from me.

I don't really get a 'Witch House' feel from this listening to it, but more of an abandoned haunted factory or something along those lines. I think less mechanical sounds would have helped give it more of a witch house feel.

Sorry for not being much of an in-depth review, but as I said, I really don't know what to say about this track, and was kind of fishing for the few things I did. I'm personally not a fan and did not like this track, but don't let me stop you from making music you like.

Kelpalots responds:

Yeah I discovered it was Dark Psybient like day after I released it, never corrected the description.

A Normal Day A Normal Day

Very atmospheric. The changes are well done, and you set the mood perfectly. I really like the heartbeat touch you have in the drums in the last half of the track.

As far as I can tell, everything transitions nicely with the next part of the track, and the SFX weren't too jarring, but I think the guy screaming could have been a little bit shorter, as it carried on for quite a while. If you wanted to keep it that length, I suggest having him screaming fade out more as it goes on, giving the feeling of the camera and mic panning away from him to go to the next scene, with the ambulance sirens.

Aside from the heartbeat touch in the kick, I'm not a big fan of the drums here. I think the clap you have doesn't really fit the mood of the track, and it feels like you were trying to write a completely different song with those. I don't know what you could change it to, but I don't think a clap generic of hip-hop music really works with this. I also think the hat's are too loud throughout and should be a lot quieter to help the atmosphere.

I believe this could have done with some better synth choices in the beginning and end of the track as well, as they sound very cheaply made as if they were midi tracks. The strings you have play in the middle are fine, but could have done with a touch of more reverb.

This has a lot of potential, and the way you tell the story is great, but it just falls short of being a great track altogether. I may not be a fan of this, but it doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed it to an extent.

Keep it up

NicholasCabraja responds:

Thanks man. Your not the first person to say the screaming was too long, I just really wanted the listener to be uncomfortable for that little bit, but nonetheless, fading isn't a bad idea. Making note of that as well as the strings input. The synths are layers of ES2 in logic I made from scratch, and the ended arp synth is a sample of a Moog synth thrown into a sampler. Not sure what you mean by cheaply made or it being a midi track?? but regardless, Glad you liked it.

Vane Vane

This is pretty interesting. Kind of reminds me 80s pop music a bit. Along the lines of what Frozenith said, I could see this being used as a world theme in the background for a game.

The motif at the beginning is pretty cool, but about halfway through it gets fairly repetitive and boring. I think it could have done with some variations on it throughout, such as having it walk up instead of down, changing the rhythm of it, anything to keep it interesting. That said, I really like the synth you chose for it and the delay on it really helps the groove of the track.

The chord progression is pretty stagnant throughout, but I actually think it works for this track. When you have it change chords, it really helps support the main motif even with the repetition. I also like the little background melodies that pop up for emphasis throughout, like that arp in the background that's really hard to hear until the outro, and the bell-like synths that play sparsely throughout. Very nice touches with those.

I don't really have any complaints on the drums, as they fit the track well. I do wish the kick was a bit louder in the beginning though, as it sort of gets drowned out by the snare and hats. Then vice versa around the 1:00 mark. I think it could have really benefited the track to have more balanced drums here. The kick also could have done with some more low-end punch to fill that end of the spectrum more, as there's not much in the low end to begin with.

Other than those gripes, I like this track. It's calming, could go great as overworld music, and it's got an interesting motif that could really go somewhere with some work. Keep it up!
Dylnmatrix

Tomorrow (Original Mix) Tomorrow (Original Mix)

This is actually really, really freaking awesome. Like damn.

Gives me JRPG fighting theme vibes with the epic cinematic scale through the roof and the very well done changes throughout. The melodies are very well written and the breakdowns are perfect. The drums are superb, I love the many drum fills you have going on in this. The mix is very crisp, I can hear everything clearly with no issues.

I personally think the voice is a tad loud and interferes with a few of the lower frequencies later in the track (around 3:40), making it hard to understand at times, but that might just be me.

Other than that, I really have no issues with this beautiful piece of work. I'll definitely be buying this when I get some extra money.

Frozenith responds:

Thanks for the great review, mate! It is a pleasure to know that you like my song. Greetings from Chile!

TL - Words Lost in the Waves TL - Words Lost in the Waves

Very relaxing atmosphere throughout. Unfortunately, when it comes to ambient tracks, my knowledge is very tiny, but I'm gonna review it anyways.

The percussion that comes in at around 1:30 is a nice touch, although get a little repetitive compared to the evolving track behind it. The phasing pad that you have playing during the beginning and end of the track is nice and having it cut out for that short period of time when the drums came in helped the dynamics of the track. That long legato melody line you have playing is nice, although the higher frequencies of the synth could have been brought down a bit more and it's volume got fairly loud through headphones towards the middle until the drums kicked in and the volume was fixed afterwards.

I liked the melody that comes in with the drums and continues until the end, although this one was pretty quiet throughout, making it hard to make out while it's playing over the main pad. Don't know if it was intentional, as it did help the atmosphere a bit, but it seemed to have rhythmic variation and harmonies, making me feel like it could have been brought out a bit more. And while good, I feel the melody line that starts towards the end (around the 2:20 mark I believe?) was a tad bit too busy to fit the atmosphere for me and in my first playthrough, kind of came out of nowhere, but I also welcome it as it is a change to the piece. So I'm kind of in a neutral position about that.

Other than those gripes, this is nice and relaxing. Deviates from what I know of Ambient tracks, but genres evolve, and you tend to put your own flow into genres that aren't normally there, like me. So bonus points for that.

Keep it coming.

TaintedLogic responds:

Thanks so much man! :D Yeah, I kinda forgot to mention that it evolves into trance towards the end. I'm glad you liked the atmosphere - that's one of the skilled I've really honed in on over the years. I agree about the percussion. It was mostly supposed to be something to channel the energy of the piece, but I think I made it too up-front in the mix. I'm glad you liked what I did with the pads, but the beginning and ending pads actually aren't the same, although it is pretty tough to tell. :) I agree about the EQ'ing on the legato melody line. I should've quieted it down a lot for that first part and EQ'ed it more nevertheless. I was just worried that it wouldn't come through as much if I did. Mixing this track so you could hear everything at the end was one thing I really struggled with while making it. I guess that "transition melody" ducks under a bit because of the pads - you're right about that. Like I said, I should've established that I was trying to turn this into more of a trance track by the end, despite the slow tempo. The last melody does come in at an odd place. This piece is in 4/4 time, but parts of it (the legato melody and pads) are written as if it's in 3/4, which explains both the rhythmic variation and the awkward transition at 2:20. Anyway, thanks so much DM! This is a really thorough and thoughtful review. I hope I'll hear some more of your work soon! ^^

Tavern theme Tavern theme

While I'm not a huge fan of Jazz, I can always appreciate good jazz music that gives off that relaxing lounge feel.

The groove is great, really relaxed. The transitions are smooth and the track flows very nicely. I also do really enjoy the chord progression, along with the general melody. The instruments fit well together and this is mixed very well.

Although I like this, there are a couple things that I feel could be improved in the track. In the melody, there were a couple of notes played that don't seem to agree with the chord being played underneath. Unfortunately, after listening a couple of times and not paying attention, I lost the place of those parts. It was only like one or two notes in the entire piece, but they did throw me off a bit, first hearing them.

I also agree along the lines of what Troisnyx said, the drums could use a tiny bit more variation in the hi hats and the offbeat hits.

Other than that, a solid piece and I really enjoyed it. Nicely done.

Jernemies responds:

Thanks :)

It would indeed be nice to be able to find those notes, because I'm way too conditioned to find anything out of the ordinary. I'll keep an eye out if I ever re-touch this, which is unlikely.

Chaos of Mind (Teaser) Chaos of Mind (Teaser)

This is a good track, I like it. Gives me a nostalgic feel to the type of music that brought me to NG back in 2010.

Since it is only a teaser, I don't want to fully review it, but from what's here, it definitely screams boss fight for bullet hell like games. It's fast paced and action packed, getting you pumped as you fight. I enjoy all the mechanical, factory-like sound FX that plays throughout the teaser, really helps me start visualizing a scene.

I would love to hear the rest of it so I can hear how it builds and resolves to and after this snippet. My mind is itching to visualize the entire boss fight or even interpret it in a completely different way if it wants to.

I want more, this is really good.

Phyrnna responds:

Thanks!
Nuffin' wrong with a little old skool! ;D
I'm keeping the rest secret til the game comes out and you hear it in it's full glory with the boss. :P

Cloaked In Crimson Cloaked In Crimson

I really like this man. Reminds me of an area theme for an epic RPG, having a sense of curiosity in the beginning but opening up as you further proceed into the world, seeing the massive fields and cliffs to explore. Either that or it could be the emotional insert music that plays during an important story event as you head to an important boss that you don't want to fight but have to, something like that. I can interpret the sense of regret and wishful thinking that would portray the second scenario.

The mixing is really good and the track is mastered well. I enjoy the drums and percussion a lot, it's sequenced very well, but I wished the drums cut through just a tiny bit more, as they can get drowned out a bit by the strings when they crescendo towards the middle, making it hard to hear the great drum fills you have in there. Seeing all the EWQL just makes me jealous, because it's really good and I want it.

Another tiny gripe I have, would be that I wished it went further. The motif you have is great as well as the other melodies that pop up here and there harmonizing that motif, but I feel it ended a bit too soon for me to be satisfied. Maybe it's just the way I've interpreted the track, but I want more from it. I'd like to hear a sudden mood change, fitting my emotional insert music in the RPG theory, for when you walk into the boss' area and you realize there's no hope of them changing, to convey a feeling of acceptance in a way.

My music interpreter self aside, this is really, really good. The fact that I got invested in the track enough to make up a story to fit it, wanting more from the track to fit said story, just testifies how good the track is.

Great job on this

MetalRenard responds:

Thanks for the detailed comment, I appreciate the time and thought put into it.
I agree - I didn't take this one far enough. It was written quite quickly, something I made just to capture a feeling or mood I had at the time and I couldn't find a way to change it without changing what I originally made the song for. For the sake of the music, I probably should have, but ended up not taking the plunge.

Again, thanks for that!